Friday, February 8, 2008

The Diesel in a Corvette or Kerr's Hidden Genius?

The Suns were 34-14 (the best record in the west), and last year they were an Horry cheap shot away from an NBA championship. No need to do anything right? We can win the league this year. Why retool? Because the Lakers made a move. Plain and simple. And here's my first reaction: I can't believe it. Steve Kerr's an idiot. Trading Shawn Marion for an old injured Shaq is dumb. He doesn't fit in Mike D'Antoni's system at all. In a 7-second offense Shaq can't run, can't shoot, and he won't be able to play anyway cause he's injured. Then of course I'm thinking why couldn't you get someone better for Marion?! I mean Kirilenko's name was thrown around as well as Garnett and I'm sure there were others. But no the Suns rush the trade because the Lakers made a huge move.

Then I talked to Steven and a few other people who were both for and against the trade and had a few days to think this over. Plus I saw a bit of Shaq's press conference, read some articles, watched Around the Horn and waited awhile to write this post so that I could feel informed. And here's what I came up with. I don't like it. I don't like it at all. If you wanted a guy for defense you should have kept Kurt Thomas. He did great against Duncan last year and his hip doesn't need to be replaced. Plus I still feel like we could have gotten a lot more for Marion. However, I do think we can win with Shaq. I think if he is willing to "initiate the break" like he said and if he really does "love to run" (and can) then sure we'll win. He has to sit back and only expect to play 20-25 minutes. He has to be content with not being a huge offensive force like he used to be. I know he can adapt. I know his pride will kick in. I know that he might have one half year and post-season push left in him. So let's see Shaq. Let's see you run. Let's see you toss the outlet pass. Give these guys that championship experience you have and bring it home to Phoenix.

So whats it going to be? Trying to force and old broken Diesel engine into a quick Corvette? Or Steve Kerr making the move that brings that coveted trophy to the desert?

Here's what scares me the most though: 9-39. Thats the Heat's record right now, two years after winning it all. I know that they don't have much more than Wade now but if this does win a championship, Kerr can't be complacent. Shaq won't win more than that and Kerr has to be thinking ahead to that time when he'll need to replace the big guy. Anyway I hope this trade turns out well. For the sake of all Suns fans, prove me wrong Shaq.

No comments: